- A pages description meta tag gives Google and the other search engines an overview of what the page is all about.
- The description meta tag can be a sentence or a short paragraph.
- These tags are important because Google may use them as snippets for your pages when searched by users.
- Using Meta tags is always good practice, as Google will use these if it cannot find a section of text to snippet!
- Words in the snippet are bolded if the user is looking for something that is available on your site, this will allow them to see whether your page has the content they are looking for.
- Make the meta tags interesting!
- Write the description so it also informs users
- Make it relevant to the content on the page.
- Use common descriptions! E.g. ‘this web page is about’.
- Filing description with only keywords
- Copy and paste entire content of page into the tag.